Sunday, April 22, 2012

Caulk - the DIY friend


Time for a quick update concerning my crown molding project which really has been a total renovation of my dining room ceiling. I have a ton of non-woodworking things going on right now, but completing this project remains high on my to-do list. This past weekend, I was able to get a coat of primer on the crown molding which serves not only as a base for the finish coat of paint, but primer also magnifies imperfections. See below...


Click the image to enlarge it and you will note the arrows in red. These point out areas which need to be caulked. I have mostly tiny gaps here and there around the room which need to be filled. The miters in the corners of the room meet up pretty well, but the one shown above was the most challenging. I also am finishing caulking the beams. In the photo above, the black arrows indicate where caulk has been applied - I have just a little more caulking to do on the beams.

Also, you will note that I am going to need to paint the walls. I realized this would have to be done after few instances of damage occurred. An example: a few months ago, I dropped my hammer while on my ladder. On the way down, the claw of the hammer made contact with the wall and a nice chuck of sheet rock was torn away. Other examples like this exist around the room. Since I was going to have to paint the walls anyway, being a little sloppy with the primer is OK.


In addition to the two ladders in the room, my main tools right now are shown above - caulk, light weight spackling, sand paper; not shown is my trusty putty knife. The spackling was recommended by a sales associate at The Home Depot - I was skeptical at first, but it has been great to work with. I am using it to fill nail holes and the larger imperfections I run across. In addition to applying spackling, I am using the putty knife to help remove excess caulk.

I have been surprised how rough the crown molding is after the primer went on. This means, I am having to sand most all of the crown molding a second time! But in the end, this will make for a better looking paint job.

And speaking of paint, I'll be applying it towards the end of the week which means I'll be wrapping up this project pretty soon.

To view all the posts in this series, click here. This is post fourteen.
________________________

Have a question or comment? Leave yours by clicking on the "Comments - post yours here" link below. My email is jobranch@yahoo.com. Consider subscribing via email or RSS by clicking here.

Some popular projects:

4 comments:

Jason Herrick said...

I generally hate the Home Depot fools, but this one and I agree. Spackle is a painters best friend, and caulking is a carpenters best friend. :) Depending on time and interest, you may want to caulk every union of two boards. You've done such a great job, however in a couple years, some will likely open up. It would stink to have to pull out the ladder and redo anything. Whatever you end up doing, I just know its going to look amazing!

Jeff Branch said...

I know what you mean about THD. I went in looking for wood putty and got a recommendation for spackle which I would normally use to patch walls with. Because it is so light weight, it sands like a dream.

In the first photo, you can see the coffered ceiling I did in my living room many, many years ago and even after caulking everything, I have had some of the joints open up slightly, but it is the ceiling and no one really looks up there and stares at it.

I have caulked all the joints where the beams intersect, but the boards are six inch wide pine and I suspect they will shrink some, so I'll just have to deal with it.

Thanks for the complement.

David Scott said...

I admire your tenacity. I am afraid I would of given up a long time ago. But from the photos your effort ihas paid off.

Jeff Branch said...

David, I would not call it tenacity, maybe stubborn woodworking. Thanks for the comment